Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Artist: Chris Skillz Album: Just Another Morning pt.2

Going off of my previous post about not being able to find true hip-hop artists, I guess I struck gold twice! (Unheard of from Datpiff.com)

After I found KR (Previous Post), I noticed a suggestion for an artist named Chris Skillz. The description at the top of the mixtape said "For those fans of hip hop with substance". Hmm, very few people would put this in their description for their mixtape, especially on datpiff.  So, I gave Chris Skillz a chance. Wow! That was my first reaction after I gave this one listen. His description for the tape did not lie one bit. True hip-hop with substance.

Skillz is the closet thing I have heard to poetry ever. The lyrics tell stories. They don't just make club music to dance to, no they are pure art. The stories he tells within his lyrics make the music so great. To me, when music tells a story, it means that emotion went into making it.  You can tell Skillz put his whole heart into this project, just by well crafted each song is.

Every track is carefully produced to give it the old school vibe, using samples from all over the place to make beats. The production reminds me some of the type that Mos Def or Common uses on their tracks, which if you know Mos and Common, is fantastic. 

This is worth the listen for the old school style and poetic story telling lyrics that Chris Skillz puts down on Just Another Morning Pt.2. (Pt.1 is also fantastic!)

Website: http://offstreammusic.webs.com/ 


No comments:

Post a Comment